First of all, I’d like to thank all of you for hanging in there and patiently waiting for my next blog post. You are patient and a little bit crazy (you have to be to be following my blog) and I love you.
These are some of the things that I have learned from my forty something years of life and I hope something inspires change in your life. I’ve had a lot of tough lessons but I am grateful for all of them because without them, I would not be the survivor that I am today.
1. Love is a choice. Love is not something that you “fall into”, it is something that you make a conscious choice to do, each and every day. Love is not a fleeting emotion, but a solid action of mind, body and soul. You get up each day and choose to love the person lying beside you, in spite of all of their flaws and failings, you make a choice and you love them with all of your being. Choose love.
2. Everyone leaves eventually. We all have people in our lives that mean something to us. Some are mere acquaintances who might shed a little light on our everyday lives and others mean as much to us as our oxygen supply. Regardless of how much they mean to us and how big a role they play in our lives, everyone leaves eventually. Whether they move away, die, or we just slowly drift apart, we lose them in one way or another. Make sure that the people in your life know what they mean to you because you never know how long they will be there.
3. Your pets love you unconditionally, be kind to them. Whether you have a dog, cat, rodent, reptile or bird, they depend on you for food, water, care and affection. Don’t let them down. You affection will be returned tenfold. And whenever possible, adopt – don’t shop.
4. Your children are a reflection of you. Take the time to teach them right from wrong and you will never get a call in the middle of the night to bail them out. At the same time, let them work for their own luxuries to learn the value of a dollar and let them make mistakes so that they may learn from them.
5. If you light a cigarette, your bus/taxi/ride will show up.
6. If we don’t start taking care of our planet, future generations wont have a suitable place to live. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. It’s not just a slogan, it needs to be a way of life. BE the change you want to see in the world.
7. Wasting time regretting the past and worrying about the future, will prevent you from truly enjoying the present. Today is a gift. Live it well.
8. Not everyone will like you, so be yourself and befriend those who love and accept the real you.
9. Life isn’t always fair. Accept it. You won’t always get what you deserve and if you accept that, you will save yourself a lot of bitterness.
10. Gratitude turns what we have into enough. Be grateful for everything in your life.
Do you have a life lesson that made a huge change in your life?